Lazy Sunday Morning, Atif and a Book…
I really love Sundays. Not that it makes a huge difference in my adrift lifestyle but I guess some psychological notion works behind the feeling. However, there is a small problem… well, not actually small but with a huge brunt, and that is, my mum also shares the same feeling and eagerly waits for this very day while making several mental notes through out the week for the chores to be thrown in between me and my beautiful Sunday. 

Today as well, I was about to be kicked out from my shelter if I didn’t clean it up, so with a heavy heart I abandoned the TV and reached to the messy corner, originally labeled as my room. While hustling and tussling with the piles of old papers, I found an old, almost torn book and as I opened it, it drifted me to the old days… memories, so deeply rooted in me that I can never forget them. Atif was playing “Meri Kahani” on the music system and I was like floating in the moments from my past, my surroundings, my whole life. 

When mum n dad got married in 70’s, dad used to get 400 bucks as salary. Same with mum but still they did what I can’t even imagine this day. They made this house, brought us up with best of the facilities among all kids in our age group, saved for the life coming up and did whatever we can think of in a middle class family. When they built the home, immediately after the marriage, they were in such a debt that mum couldn’t even buy a new dress for next 2 years. Today, I earn more than that per hour but whenever me and my brother speak on phone, the favorite phrase about our present situation is “Hand to Mouth”. The value of money has changed for sure but more than that, its our mentality that has changed. 

I still remember when I was around 9 years old, dad bought me a yellow ball and somehow I left that in open sun and wrecked it. I think the cost was 8 or 10 bucks but with such an embarrassment and fear (coz I thought I have made a big loss and probably it was, considering their salary of that time) I asked dad, if I can get a new one and instead of getting angry, he was like.. sure my son!! Today I can’t remember when I thought twice before spending 100 bucks, on an useless item but when I look at dad, he still tries to save 10 bucks where he can, for example carrying the water from home instead of buying a Bisleri. How I wish, I could have even 50% of his good practices in life.  

When we were kids, Samurai Video Game was the most happening thing and I so wanted to have one for myself but I always knew I can’t, coz more than affordability it was about the needs. That was my wish, not need and I convinced myself that some day when I will earn, I will buy the best of the game station available in market. Needless to say, I can buy any damn gaming console today but I don’t. When I think about the reasons, I guess its coz I can easily buy it any given day and that is why it has lost its charm. As a human being only those things attract us which we can’t have. At that time, we had to wait even for the small things but after getting them it used to be such a feeling that I can’t express in words. Today, buying some thing no more makes a difference, probably coz I no more long for it. 

When the first phone was installed in our home, I was in such euphoria for several days, while telling the number rather boasting to any person who came across my way. Today, I guess its more than 5 numbers alone in my name but then what?. My first mobile handset was a used Samsung R220 B&W and after buying, I didn’t sleep properly for several nights coz I used to dream about it all the time, trying to play with it whenever I could. Today we have around 30 handsets (thanks to my profession, where we need them for testing) and all of them are the dream phones, one can have, but I don’t think I even look at it again after buying. 

My first (and last) girl friend and me used to talk about all this for hours. We didn’t have any money but what we had was far more important than that, and that was time and happiness. There were promises to buy her new jeans or a jacket or a watch when I will have some money. We used to roam around in market, highways (on my old Kinetic Scooter) while thinking about our future. Sit together on the floor of my room, just too happy by having each other itself, weaving small dreams about the life coming up. Whenever I could get some money, some of the promises used to be fulfilled but that was not very frequent. Needless to say, things are different now and not that perilous on financial front but what I don’t have now is time, happiness and above all… her. 

I think this is some thing where I will never get short on words and keep on writing for the ages and pages but better hold myself, or plan a part 2 of the post. By now you must be wondering what that book was… It was my first bank pass book. I opened that account in my early teens and the transactions were ranging in 50 to 500 bucks but every transaction had a story associated with it. To say, that I miss those times will be an understatement but what I can say very confidently is, any given day I will be ready to exchange my present with that past.

Cheers!! 


53 Responses

  1. Rajeswari Says:

    "As a human being only those things attract us which we can’t have. At that time, we had to wait even for the small things but after getting them it used to be such a feeling that I can’t express in words."

    How true! It is the same with everyone isn't it? This post took me back to my child hood days...


  2. Anonymous Says:

    @ nice piece... thanks for this...puts a lot of thing in perspective for me at this point in my life :)


  3. Anil Sawan Says:

    chechi, u stole my words!! i was about to write "this was a touching post"!!

    ST, bro, wuts happening?? first i was disturbed readin scrawler's poem and then this.. man, i am gona think a lot tonight :(

    u take care bro.


  4. vinny Says:

    ST, u've come a long way, buddy n i'm proud to have u as my friend:)
    thank u so much for sharing this 'inspiring' page from ur life...this will remain in me forever!


  5. Sparkling Says:

    Emotional aren't you? :)
    No, I don't think you'd want the past, you just want her to be there again in your present.
    It is not material things or time, it's always ppl that bring meaning to life.

    TC


  6. Scrawler - so true indeed.. ah the sweet childhood.. I so miss it.. despite all those waits, it was worth it

    Sen - my childhood and your present point of life.. awww.. now come on.. I am not that old ;)

    sawan - that is why we always tell you keep on visiting the blogs regularly so that only one post disturb you in a day.. now you are overloaded you see :) and yes.. I am fine.. just overdose of memories :)


  7. Sawan and Scrawler - chechi ;) now the whole world knows :P

    Vin - I am flattered dear!!


  8. Still - emotional? who!! me?? okay okay.. some times :)

    Its not just about her.. its all those things combined that I want back :) small things that brings happiness in life.. These days.. we have become miser in being happy as well.. not a good sign na..


  9. Rajeswari Says:

    These days.. we have become miser in being happy as well.. not a good sign na..

    ST...Trueee..Your words..reminds me of so many things....Small Things brings us boundless joy..but no one understand the significance of small things...


    The Festival of
    harvest and crackers came
    Reluming the unfaded childhood
    Memories of joy,fun and frolic..
    Gone are those good old days….
    Neither I’m a child now
    Nor there is fun….
    the memories lingers.


    Sawan's Chechi :P


  10. Rajeswari Says:

    We saw a different ST in this post.


  11. Anonymous Says:

    Wow. And I just spent 500 bucks today.


  12. Anonymous Says:

    oh my god! you brought back so many nostalgic memories... thank you so much for writing this one..


  13. Scrawler - You have a piece of poem or prose for every expression :)

    so which one did you like better. the earlier ST or the new one ;)

    and BTW, what does chechi mean? By each coming day I am being inclined to learn these southie lingos :)) so that the other members in gang dont fool me by cursing me in those languages.. that too on my face :)


  14. Ki - Think dear think :)

    Pink - thats good na :)) one should never forget those times.. real treasures :)


  15. Rajeswari Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  16. Rajeswari Says:

    Those verses were written during last April.

    Both Avtars are Okay ;-)

    Chechi means didi. Chetta means Bhaiyya


  17. cool !! so I learnt two new words today.. but now tell me what is this.. tamil or mallu ??




  18. Rajeswari Says:

    In tamil Akka(Didi) Anna (bhaiyya)

    didn't u notice lance adressing you
    as ST anna?;-):P


  19. Rajeswari Says:

    ST...The title should have been like this-"A sentimental Sunday" Or "Wistful Sunday" :-)


  20. That would have made it too obvious.. so.. and lance and his anna.. hmm. no comments. seems you enjoyed it too much.. the vin's post I mean ;)


  21. are you out of childhood memories so far?? or still drifting?


  22. Rajeswari Says:

    I read vin's post...but to be frank..i didn't enjoy..rather i was about to post a reply addressing the 2 kids!but u know..if i start giving a fitting reply...it will become tooo lengthy(hope u might have read from my both blogs! ;-))so skipped that!

    yes,every now then i pine for those days..infact i own a blog which carries all the funny and cranky things of childhood/teenage days...but its in malayalam :-)


  23. I know yaar.. and I couldn’t expect you to enjoy :) the difference is, somehow you resisted replying but I couldn’t. Though not sure if that was the right thing to do or not

    So another blog from poetess.. another reason to learn Mallu :( but you can post in english once in a while.. no ?? why mallu


  24. Anil Sawan Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  25. Anil Sawan Says:

    i resisted too u know :P

    and mallu cos mallu is a bbeeeeeeaaaauuuuttiiifffffuuuullllll language, wut say chechi ? :P


  26. I know. you 4 southies in gang are treating me northie as different :((


  27. Sparkling Says:

    Are you happy today? Happy about everything around?

    :)


  28. Still - whats so special today?? same office.. same chair.. same car ;)) and no... its not my bday as well :P


  29. Sparkling Says:

    Hmmmph...

    You said that these days we were being miserly about our happiness and my question was in relative to that... I was trying to cheer you up silly! Whatever...

    :)


  30. "oh how dumb of me" look on face :))


  31. That proves it again.. we are being miser.. lost the touch to find the humor ;)


  32. Anil Sawan Says:

    talk about national integration :P


  33. Rajeswari Says:

    national integration?whats that?i mean in this context??


  34. Rajeswari Says:

    Enlighten this ignorant pleasee :-)


  35. Anonymous Says:

    Nostalgic .. took me back to my childhood!


  36. Anonymous Says:

    :)
    will come back and comment ...
    i need to re read it ;)



  37. Ghost Rider :)

    Karmanna - waiting dear :)

    Scrawler - good morning :P



  38. aww.. ur getting better and better..


  39. Anonymous Says:

    :)
    .. part 2 please...


    past seems more sweeter when u remember it from present ....

    present is more challenging ....exiting... when u have unknown future to explore ...
    .. keep going :)

    (badiya hai bhai!!!! )


  40. Good post... Touching and Inspiring as well!!


  41. athi Says:

    lovely post..
    guess it wanted to write it first
    :(
    i can relate to everything written der..
    btw what happened to her?


  42. Marina - trying my dear.. trying :)

    Karmanna - part 2 coming up shortly.. intzaar ka fal meetha hota hai :)

    Athi - Thanks.. you can still write that.. no ? not sure about her whereabouts.. we do not talk any more :(


  43. Dunno how I missed this post... very poignant one, dear ST. Yeah, I too often think how in spite of not having the material wealth we have our parents' lives were so much richer...
    :-( what happened to her and you?


  44. JLT - couldn't agree more :))

    she and me.. hmm.. nothing re.. another sad ending love story.. we are not even on speaking terms :(

    BTW, what is happening with your blog, it does not get opened.. I tried 2-3 times in last few days


  45. awwww... a big virtual hug to you. Never mind, will keep my fingers crossed for a special someone to materialise soon....



  46. Serendipity Says:

    Its a paradox of our time in history. We earn more, spend even more, but live less.

    I was thinking on the same lines a few days ago, when I noticed my dad wearing an old HMT watch, which annoyed me since he has much more stylish and expensive one's lying arond. to which he replied he bought it from his first pay, (500 rs a month) on EMI 22 years ago. the watch cost 250 rs and it took him a few months to muster up the courage to spend so much then.

    We're a complacent lot. taking ease, comfort and luxury for granted.

    lol, dint mean to sound so condescending :D


  47. Seren - Hah, you are not sounding condescend. In fact I can so relate to what you mean and in fact that is the point. We have forgot to value the small pleasures rather small treasures like that. Have become so materialistic and unable to differentiate between the needs and wishes!!