All in the name of work…
I am not sure how many of you have attended a typical north Indian wedding (salt in the wound, if it’s a large family) but if you had, then you must have perceived that the biggest charm for uncles and aunties and other overactive senior citizens, to attend the wedding is to update their very own personal encyclopedia and who’s who database with latest happenings in the family. And then of course exchange notes to reconfirm the newest discoveries.

Some of the evergreen hot-shot topics for the discussions are – 

- Why one’s son or daughter is not getting married and then with a remarkable combination of pain and worried expressions – tch, tch, (don’t know how to spell that sound, hope you get the idea) this is what happens if you don’t control the children in time, they don’t listen to you like this. 
- Why ‘a’ and his wife is not thinking of a baby, its already been 2-3 years to their marriage.
- Why ‘b’ and his wife is not thinking about 2nd baby, its already been 2-3 years to the first one.
- What kind of jewellery, attire one is wearing and on the basis of that, how they are doing on financial front.
- Who is spending how much of time on cell phone and then how many affairs he/she is having
- Current employment status for one’s son/daughter and what are the latest figures in pay checks. Quite obviously, when they take this much pain whilst coming to this point, comparison among them is warranted and they have to discuss who is doing best among all. 

Luckily I get an escape from most of the points as those are not applicable in my case but employment/work is some thing which I can’t avoid. Fly on the ointment comes in when its almost impossible to explain 60+ people, what exactly I do. Earlier, I used to make efforts to elucidate them but then I realized its kind of wrestling with pig in mud so now I nod in whatever they say. Hence different people have different ideas on my profession and still it is one of the biggest mysteries in our family. 

A typical conversation is like 

He- so what are you doing these days.. 
Me – umm, we develop software 
He – and what does that mean?
He – without even waiting for me to reply oh, I got it, you know, the 4th son of my sister-in-law’s daughter-in-law’s uncle is also in the same profession. He does this accounting work for various shopkeepers.. you do the same thing na.. 
Me – with a broad smile… you got it..  

Same thing happened in the recent wedding, I attended…

He – so what exactly do you do?
Me – we develop software for mobile phones
He – oh gotcha… you install those ring tones, wallpapers etc. in phones.
Me – mmm, actually more than that, suppose you need to have some software in your phone, we develop that.
He – puzzled.. fetches an ancient Nokia 3310, duly covered in lamination, from his pocket. Do you have some thing for this?
Me – oh, not for such advanced phones actually.. we work for simpler ones.. like Blackberries, Iphones etc. 
He – err.. black.. what?
Me – never mind.. 

Then my savior came in picture and shooed the earlier one away with “leave the poor chap alone.. This is altogether new generation uncle, you wont understand this..”

Then focusing on me

He – you know how these old people are.. they won’t understand how fast time is moving.. this is some thing only we people can think of
Me – hmm
He – the other day I was telling some one about your business and how fast this industry is going with MMS etc.

Now it was my turn for puzzled expressions..

He - oh BTW, do you have some latest MMS which you can transfer to my phone. Some thing really hot.. 
Me – tearing my hair… 

Cheers !! 

31 Responses
  1. Rajeswari Says:

    Yipeee...me the first!!

    Typical ST touch..i mean the post!! ha ha....at least we,the bloggers won't be troubling u with such questions(I guess) :-)

    hey..one suggestion..why don't you take out a detailed print out of your work..i mean ur job..and distribute among family members/? sounds good na?:P


  2. Karthik Says:

    Me the 2nd?? Quickie bit this time!!!


  3. Karthik Says:

    //tch, tch//

    It might be Pspp Pspp


  4. Rajeswari Says:

    seems these days readers are more interested in posting comments than reading the post :P


  5. Karthik Says:

    Typical ST.. Man R u engaged?? Ur previous posts suggests u r the hottest bachelor in Mumbai.... And u weren't shot those qns, WHEN IS YOUR MARRIAGE??? Mmm... Y people always like to hear abt ur profession?? better you can take some pamphlets with you abt ur business so that When someone questions you, instead of tired of those, can give them the pamphlets??? :P


  6. Anonymous Says:

    :D
    kya seen thaa bhai...


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Hahaha! MMS!!!! :D


  8. Anonymous Says:

    @ ST..:D... you live a charmed life my friend :)


  9. Rajeswari Says:

    btw ..u said something that ur next post is gonna be "Dil Tho Pagal Hai" mallu ishtyle?what happened to that?;-)


  10. Scrawler - Yeah.. you first... what is this race these days for first comment BTW?? and I am not gonna distribute chocolates like vin so dont expect any thing in return :)

    ST Touch?? am I being too monotonous :(

    Karthik - only 1st one matters my friend :P

    Tch Tch - try to pronounce this and you will know what I mean :))


  11. Scrawler - Oh yeah.. I am also wondering what is this race all about :)

    Karthik - again typical ST :( I need to change track man!! nah so far I am young free and SINGLE :)) they wanna hear about profession coz marriage is some thing where I scream rather bite back at them so they dont dare to ask me

    Karmanna - oh yeah.. will invite you for next wedding in family and then you see it live :)


  12. Ki - :) do you want one for your phone :P

    Sen - wanna share few charming personalities ;)

    Scrawler - yeah, I planned that but our dear strsen threatened me for strangulation so I stepped back :)


  13. Typo in last comment - it should be "our dear sen"


  14. Rajeswari Says:

    i don't want eclairs..I need only coffee bites!The argument continues.... ;-)


  15. Rajeswari Says:

    u didn't mention anything on ur valentine's day celebrations..Hope it went well..along with the wedding :-)


  16. you too a coffee buff poetess ??

    valentine day - hahaha.. joke.. koi bhav nai deta yaar mere ko :))


  17. Though I tried flirting with Groom's sister in law but then realized she is just 21.. too young eh.. :P


  18. Sparkling Says:

    Sheesh! your uncle is a pervert :p
    So what can you develop for a Nokia 5800?

    Honestly dear, where do you find these ppl? I seriously need some timepass too :D


  19. Still - all in the family dear.. you can also have an invitation in next wedding in the family and you bet it will be an experience of the life time :))


  20. vinny Says:

    hehhehhehehee ST!!!

    yeh sab tumhe hi kyon chunthe hain???

    vaise, i need GPS enabled in my pen drive !!


  21. vinny Says:

    n whats this i see..ur profile pic is always - left , right, feet,etc...kabhie apni 'charming' chehra dikhaoge ??


  22. Anonymous Says:

    Must say you have quite a happening blog... Will skim through all the posts this weekend :)


  23. Terribly Funny. :)
    And so terribly true :(.


  24. Sparkling Says:

    I'm waiting for the invite :)


  25. vin - charming face nai dikha sakta.. some one mentioned about roger federer.. so I am happy with the illusion and dont wanna break that up

    Deo - welcome bro :)) how are you.. weekend has just started :)) so waiting for lots of comments from your side

    Marina - where were you dear.. long time no see


  26. Still - and i am still waiting for a real close up snap of your hands :)))


  27. BrownPhantom Says:

    Very true. Work related questions are the hardest to fend off once you are in s/w industry.I just say "computer par kaam" karte hain and then let follow your path: let them interprete :).


  28. Anil Sawan Says:

    lol, if u ever think of publishing ur biography - experiances with life, i need the copy right.. its sure gona be a mega hit :P


  29. Prashant - that makes us two :))

    Sawan - look who is here?? I cant bloody believe on my eyes ;)
    okay.. so you are going to design the cover page for that ;) that too after our yesterday's discussions :D


  30. Anil Sawan Says:

    ah. err.. uh... %^*(%^$%&*(^*&^% i guess i am overloaded. maybe I should give this project a miss :P


  31. It does not happen just in North indian marriages. It happens in south indian marriages too...that's why i look in the right, look in the left and run towards the buffet counter...eat and run away. I Have encountered such stupid questions...so this scheme kind of works for me :)