If looks could kill…
In the building where we have our office, there are just two companies on this floor. First one is ours and the other is HP Service Center. Now it’s a thumb rule that each and every day we will have to tell at least 4-5 people that NOOO, this is not HP Office and then which office is this, is none of their bloody business (coz that is the immediate next question – @!#!@%^&). Though the poor HP guys have spent a hell lot of money on signage for main door, parking, staircase, office door and where not (even their loo) but who cares.. too indolent to glance upwards and read the board.. eh... The next unwritten rule of thumb is that if I am on phone, I cant just sit and will be found shunting in the corridor and visitors will be like.. Boss.. HP Office??? Of course I am talking on phone but so what…its taken for granted that my primary role there is to tell people how to glance upwards and figure out that if the board is there, its not a bloody mistake, the door must be opening into HP Office only. It might be that my face has ‘Navigator’ written all over it but now days I have devised a new way to deal with such shit. So a typical conversation is like -

Me walking in corridor

Visitor while standing in front of HP – Boss… HP Office?
Me – Point a finger to the board 
V – Smile with a “oh, how dumb of me” look on face
Me – "I know its dumb of you” look on face
V – is it closed?
Me – What do you see there?
V – "Puzzled look", Lock!
Me – Shrug – “There you are sweety” look on face 

you might ask, how does that help and to be honest, it does not.. there are same number of dumbasses asking for it but the looks afterwards on their face is worth all the pain and efforts... 

Cheers ! 

13 Responses
  1. Rajeswari Says:

    i was trying to picturise that Boss ;-) Nice one..

    btw where were u hiding?


  2. Sen Says:

    @ ST...good one :)


  3. vinny Says:

    just shift to another building...So simple!!!


  4. Scrawler - hah.. actually boss does not mean in that ways.. here I guess in North india, boss is a word used to address some one.. like boss. whats the time.. boss where is this apartment and so on :)

    busy.. oh yeah.. busy in office yaar.. kabi kabi kaam b karna padta hai na.. just to justify the salary you see :)

    sen - :)

    vin - huh and there will not be another offices or dumbasses!!


  5. LOL! have never managed to figure out why guys HAVE to walk while on the phone.


  6. JLT - oh yeah.. if you ever find out the answer, please let me know, I will also implement that :)



  7. You know what I used to do when people asked me the obvious? I would point them in the opposite direction. Knowing i was about to mislead a stupid weary traveler brought an evil grin on my face and that worked wonders in scaring people off. :)

    My two cents :)


  8. Anil Sawan Says:

    ever thought of appointing a watchman dedicated to guide guests to the HP office? :P


  9. Dewdrop Says:

    Some people are perinially confused... my prof used to use one golden rule - either convince or confuse the class... y don't u try the latter! ;)


  10. still - correction.. meanest!! :)

    Marina - nice one, will keep that safe :)

    Sawan - huh, then they will ask me where is watchman :P

    Dewdrop - oh yeah, like - HP!! they have already closed the operations from here 2 months bacl ;)


  11. D Writer Says:

    going thru your blog for the first time ...cool one