Kids… when they were actually kids!
Few days back, I was at one of my known’s place when his 14 years old was sounding quite depressed and dull. Knowing him, it was a bit unusual, so I tried to dig him, and guess what I came to know... The Einstein could score ONLY 2nd rank in the unit test for some IIT coaching. Gee, are you nuts, I asked him, its just a unit test and further more, you are just 14! IIT??  He gazed back at me as if I have challenged his virginity. Almost similar expressions were shared by his mommy dearest, and then followed a long lecture on how important it is to start preparing now, and how sincere the child is, while spending 15-16 hours a day in the studies. Uhhh.. From what I can remember about my childhood, when I was 14, the biggest concern in my life was to somehow get my hands on the new BSA-SLR bicycle of one of my class mate and then convince my dad that my present ride is good for nothing and how unkind, unfair and lots of other words starting with “un” it will be if I dint get a new one. 

Further more, even by standard 11th or 12th, if somebody used to ask me, so what are you gonna be when you grow up, I was like uhmmm.. and then stare at mum with a look on face that said “what do I say.. what kind of question is this..“ but today.. you ask a 10 years old and he/she will shoot back with the career/profession which half of the average Indians have never heard of.. How very contemplative and forward thinking, but ain’t it a bit unfair with the kids? Parents try to fulfill their dreams, desires and wishes in their children and somehow end up in forcing the child to be some one which he/she is actually not. The childhood which is supposed to be most innocent, stress-free and simply the best time of a persons’ life, gets lost somewhere in the unfulfilled cravings of the parents.

Then, there is my 2 years old niece. Getting her ready after bath or when going out is as herculean task as making Pakistan admit that they are behind the terrorist attacks in India. Kiddo will simply sit on bed while her mom will show all dresses and then ma’am will choose what color and what type of dress she is going to wear that day. Sweet as it might sound but its not, ask her mom when going out, while they are all dressed up for a party but the kid is dressed up in an old and strained sweater coz that is her current favorite at that time. If you ask me, I used to be all happy in a diaper with a loose home made vest. And colors, not even heard of them at that time.. o boy.. time is surely changing! 

Cheers!

13 Responses
  1. Rajeswari Says:

    Quoting Gibran's Verses...
    Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

    You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday

    ST...Today's parents makes a lot of fuss over the education of kids..so many coaching classes...poor children/Teens jampacked between parents and coaching centres..the childhood is lost forever before we realise.


  2. scrawler - I agree.. Parents are equally responsible, in fact they are the only one who is responsible. Though I have seen that no body can really change it.. if a kid is not interested in studying, he will not, no matter how much you pressurize him..


  3. Anil Sawan Says:

    thought provoking post huh?? even i had a calm childhood.. m sure my children would hav a similar one :P

    hwz u?


  4. Sen Says:

    @ ST...hmm...guess we were the lucky ones who were allowed a childhood...me had a expectation free childhood...my "rank" during unit tests and term exams in school is proof of my statement...as I keep telling my mum...variety is the spice of life...I have had ranks ranging from the top to mediocre levels...my parents always maintained...jab bade hoge tab dekha jaayega tumko kya bannana hai :P


  5. sawan - trying.. :) when I see kids around, I really feel sorry for them and cant avoid comparing them with my own times

    sen - oh yeah, same here.. I must thank my parents as they never forced us on this part.. and rank?? its just a number ;) and what is it with numbers.. if every one will get first rank what will happen to the last ones.. some one has to sacrifice and make efforts for that as well :D


  6. sawan - children??? concentrate on hunting first :P


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I completely agree with this. Kids are no longer treated as kids. They lose their innocence as early as 10 these days. By the time they are 18, they either are good for just being an engineer or good for nothing :-)


  8. Rajeswari Says:

    Happy New Year!Have A wonderful year ahead.Let your encounter(s) be successful[my message to our gang..since all are facing encounters theses days] :-)


  9. Ghosh Rider - Couldnt agree more

    Scrawler - Thanks dear.. same to you!! wish you a very happy new year!


  10. vinny Says:

    hehehheheee...so now u all ready for ur kids after succesful encounters!!
    be prepared to learn from them:)maybe, ur kids will post from then on... ;)
    anyways, Happy New Year to u:)


  11. Karthik Says:

    Well written ST!!

    //if every one will get first rank what will happen to the last ones.. some one has to sacrifice and make efforts for that as well//


    Lol! Happy New yr!!


  12. Dewdrop Says:

    Well put... Agree completely - today's generation is far more focused than we ever were and more aware... but in all of this, somewhere, they have lost out on the childhoon innocence.


  13. karthik - Thanks :)

    Dewdrop - gone are the times when kids used to be innocent.. this is machine age and the childhood is lost!!